There are two things that I CANNOT stand: (actually, there are more than two things, but for now let’s just talk about the two)
- people that chew loudly
- wasting food
How is that relevant you ask? Well, here’s what happened, I wanted to make macarons and that recipe calls for egg whites. So, I take some eggs, separate them, set the whites aside and I’m left with 6 egg yolks. Now, what did I say about wasting food? That’s right! I CANNOT stand it!! So I decided to whip up some chocolate pudding because it’s so darn easy. I didn’t have to bake and wait for hours or anything like that and it literally took about 15 minutes! How did I do that? Read on, my friend..
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5-6 medium egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, salt, corn starch and cocoa powder
- Slowly add milk (a tablespoon at a time) and whisk the mixture continuously to avoid any huge lumps, small lumps are okay because they dissolve later. In case you get any huge lumps, strain the mixture)
- Once everything is well combined, transfer the mixture to a saucepan
- Whisk the egg yolks
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and add the egg yolks to the mixture
- Whisk the mixture continuously until it starts to thicken
- Once it reaches the desired consistency (not too thick or runny) remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or if you’re impatient like I am, enjoy it warm.
Note: you can top it with berries, almonds, shredded coconut, chocolate chips or whipped cream.