Red velvet cupcake
Back at it again with a new blog post! This week, (and maybe even the next) I will be posting cupcake recipes, because cupcakes are amazing and I happen to have a lot of cupcake recipes 🙂 One of my all time favourite is the red velvet cupcake and it should be known that not all red velvets are created equal. The best red velvet I’ve ever had is the one from Sprinkles. AND it’s not even the regular one, it’s their vegan red velvet that’s out-of-this-world-amazing!
So today I was like, let’s make some super awesome, moist red velvet cupcakes and here’s how I made it:
For the cupcakes:
- ½ cup food grade coconut oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp red gel food coloring (or more according to your preference)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vinegar
- 1 ½ cup milk
For the frosting
- 80 gm butter
- 250 gm cream cheese ( I used Philadelphia)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar*
- ½ tsp vanilla
*confectioner’s sugar is very fine sugar with corn starch added
- Pre heat oven to 180C or 350F
- Sieve the flour, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl
- In another bowl, whip the oil and sugar, then add the eggs (one at a time)
- Add the gel food colour and mix until you have a smooth mixture
- Combine a third of the flour mixture with the oil/sugar mixture and whisk
- Then add a third of the milk to the mixture and whisk
- Repeat step 5 and 6 until both, the flour and milk are completely combined with the oil mixture
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and baking soda, then quickly add this to the batter and mix
- Line your tray with cupcake liner. Using a spoon, fill each liner 2/3 full
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- For the frosting, whisk the butter, cheese and vanilla
- Then add a little sugar at a time (tasting at intervals) and whisk. Refrigerate.
- Once the cupcakes are done and completely cool, fill a pastry bag with the frosting (use a chip clip to secure the top for ease)
- Pipe the frosting on to the the cupcakes, starting in the middle and then slowly making your way outwards.
- And you’re done! 🙂