Another day, another cookie recipe! This time it’s double chocolate with peanut butter filling. Do you know what’s better than a regular cookie? A stuffed cookie! It’s like a surprise present to yourself :p
There are two ways you can go about the filling:
- is to freeze spoonfuls of peanut butter and then place it between flattened dough
- is to just directly put the peanut butter between flattened cookie dough
I used the first method because it’s less messy. Putting the peanut butter directly, without freezing will cause the peanut butter to spread easily and come out once the ball is formed and flattened.
Refrigerating the dough isn’t necessary with this recipe, but if you find the dough to be too sticky to work with, I would recommend that you pop the cookie dough in the fridge for about half an hour
I’ve used coffee in this recipe because it brings out the chocolate flavour and I would suggest not skipping it unless you don’t have some around the house 🙂
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon prepared coffee (optional)
- milk chocolate chips for topping
- 1 ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- Scoop a spoonful of peanut butter on parchment paper (about 1.5 inches in diameter each). Repeat the process until you have used up all the peanut butter. Freeze.
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- In another bowl, whisk the butter and sugars for about a minute.
- Next, add the egg, vanilla, coffee and milk. Beat the mixture for another 30 seconds or until well combined
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. The dough will be pretty sticky at this point, but make sure to combine everything. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough in to small balls and flatten it, place the peanut butter in between. Gather the dough to form a ball once again making sure all the peanut butter is covered.
- Flatten the top and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top
- Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes
- Once done, allow the cookies to cool completely. Left over cookies should be stored in an airtight container