I don’t know what it is, but there is something about tiny stuff that makes it so cuteeee! Like tiny humans, these mini salted caramel cupcakes, me :p
Okay, I kid.
I love salted caramel and chocolate too, so today I thought I’d bake a batch of mini salted caramel cupcakes. It’s a chocolate cupcake with salted caramel cream cheese frosting (yup, that’s a thing).
Let’s get straight to the recipe 😀
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil (any cooking oil works)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup black coffee
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz butter
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup caramel syrup* (like Hershey’s caramel syrup)
- 1 tblsp coarse salt
* you can increase/decrease the amount according to preference
- In a bowl, sift together the cocoa powder and flour
- Next, add the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- In another bowl, whisk the oil and sugar for about 2 minutes. Add the egg and whisk until combined
- Then add the vanilla, milk and coffee.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and whisk until combined
- Pour the batter into a baking tray lined with cupcake liners
- Bake for 30-35 minutes
- While that’s baking, you can start making your frosting
- For the frosting: using a hand mixer, mix the cream cheese, butter and sugar until combined. (Do not over mix, otherwise it becomes too soft)
- Then add the caramel sauce and mix until combined
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe the frosting on to the cupcakes and sprinkle with coarse salt.