Any one that knows me, knows how much I love chocolate, but when I was younger I couldn’t stand the idea of fruit and chocolate together. I remember skipping the strawberry and orange cream chocolates from the “Quality street” box. Oh how I loathed that combination! But somehow as I’ve become older, that particular flavour has started to grow on me. I really enjoy chocolate with other flavours like orange and oh mint! Mint chocolate is definitely in my top 10 flavours. Who would’ve thought!
Today, I wanted to make something quick and easy so I though why not make some chocolate orange mousse. It has a nice dense chocolate flavour with a hint of orange. This recipe uses semi sweet chocolate chips but you could also use milk chocolate if you’re not a big fan of the semi sweet kind.
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tblsp orange zest
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tblsp corn starch
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chip
- Using a hand mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar for one minute. Set aside
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the whipping cream, orange zest and vanilla until it becomes very hot (not boiling)
- Remove the cream from heat and mix it with the egg mixture
- Return to heat. Over low-medium heat stir the mixture for one minute
- Pass this mixture through a sieve to catch any cooked eggs and the orange zest.
- Return to low heat and add in the corn starch mixing continuously
- Next add the chocolate chips and mix until all the chocolate is melted and the mousse becomes thick
- Remove from heat, pour it in cups and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.