Summer may “officially” be over, but this heat says otherwise, so a fruity cupcake HAD to be made 🙂 This cupcake is basically a pina colda in cake form. I posted a mini tutorial for this cupcake on my instagram stories. So if you aren’t following me on instagram already, please go ahead and do so by clicking on the link below.
This cupcake consists of a vanilla cupcake with shredded coconut, (that goes in the batter)pineapple and some cream cheese frosting. YUM!
The recipe calls for roasted sweetened coconut flakes, but you could use shredded coconut (if coconut flakes are hard to find.)
Makes: 12-14 cupcakes.
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk or whole milk
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 12-14 diced pineapples
Cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz (226g) cream cheese (I used Philadelphia)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tblsp milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C and line your tray with cupcake liners
- In a small pan, roast the coconut flakes on medium heat while stirring constantly. Set aside to cool
- Mix the the flour, baking powder, baking soda, roasted coconut flakes and salt in a bowl. Set aside
- In another bowl, using a hand mixer, whisk the sugar and oil for 1 minute
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined
- Mix in the milk and whisk
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and whisk to form a smooth batter
- Transfer the batter into the prepared liners (fill the linrs 3/4) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- To make the frosting, whisk the butter and cream cheese until smooth
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and mix until well combined.
- If the frosting is too hard to work with, add a tablespoon of milk and whisk
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag attache to a Wilton 1M tip
- Once the cupcakes are done and cool, use the back of a piping tip and make a small hole in the center. Save the cake that was taken out to make a hole
- Place a pineapple in the middle and cover with the piece of cake that was take out
- Pipe the frosting on to the cupcake