It has been a while since I’ve baked a cake so I thought what better time than autumn to bake this beautiful carrot cake.
Like pound cake, most families have their own recipe for carrot cake. Some people add nutmeg to the batter, some skip the walnuts. So I put together a recipe, that I feel combines all the ingredients and still gives you an amazing, moist, gorgeous carrot cake.
For the cake
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 ¼ cups of sugar
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tsp vanilla
For the frosting
- 4 (8oz )cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup butter a room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tblsp milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside
- In another bowl, whisk the sugar and oil.
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined
- Add the carrots and walnuts. Mix
- Sift the dry ingredients over the wet ones and whisk until everything is combined and you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter into four 7 inch baking pans
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center
- Allow the cake to cool completely
For the frosting:
- In a bowl, whisk the cream cheese until softened
- Whisk in the butter until well combined
- Add the sugar (¼ cup at a time)
- Once everything is well combined, if the frosting seems too stiff, add a tblsp of milk and whisk again.
- Using a serrated knife, level your cake layers making sure they are equal in thickness
- Place the first layer of cake and cover it with frosting. Cover it with another layer of cake. Repeat until you have used up all the layers
- Cover the entire cake with frosting and smooth the edges using icing smoother
- Top the cake with flowers and you’re done 🙂