Another day, another cupcake recipe. Today, I decided to combine two of my favourite desserts (cinnamon rolls and cupcakes) and come up with this gorgeous little cinnamon roll cupcake. At first it may seem like a lot of work, but believe me you, it isn’t. It’s a basic vanilla cupcake with a cinnamon swirl and good ol’ cream cheese frosting.
Let’s get to the recipe!
Makes: 26-28 mini cupcakes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup buttermilk (or whole milk)
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For cinnamon swirl
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 8oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar (it’s the one with cornstarch)
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. Line a mini baking tray with cupcake liners
- Whisk the oil and sugar until combined
- Next, add the eggs, vanilla and milk. Whisk until combined
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk on low-medium until you have a smooth batter
- Transfer batter to the tray, filling the liners half way.
- Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Next, add the melted butter and mix until well combined
- Take about half a teaspoon of this mixture and put it on top of the cupcake batter and swirl using a toothpick.
- Bake the cupcakes for 12-15 minutes
Cream cheese frosting
- Whisk the butter and cream cheese together
- Add the confectioner’s sugar (a tablespoon at a time) and whisk until well combined
- Transfer the cream cheese frosting to a piping bag. Cut the tip and pipe it on completely cool cupcakes. (Your frosting will melt if your cupcakes are warm)